Monday, April 18, 2011

Start Your Week Right: With My Morning Jacket – Cobra

Hey, do you feel that? That sometimes-overwhelming surge of excitement and anticipation as the weeks pass and we get closer and closer to the very last day in May? With each new week and every update, we My Morning Jacket fans are becoming more and more anxious for Circuital’s release!

Over the weekend, we celebrated the 5th annual Record Store Day, during which My Morning Jacket released a special, limited edition “Circuital” single on 12” vinyl. The very kind people over at Ear X-tacy even had it available online for a short period! We also celebrated two very interesting MMJ covers: “Oh! Sweet Nuthin’” by The Velvet Underground and “Suspicious Minds” by Elvis Presley. What a weekend!

Cobra comes up next to me.
Anywhere he goes: he’s silently.
How do you take speaking so much?
How do you live without a lover’s touch?

Today, as we continue to celebrate tracks from MMJ LPs (and take cover requests!) on The Countdown, let’s look at track number three from 2002’s Chocolate and Ice, “Cobra.” My Morning Jacket’s longest and arguably most experimental track, “Cobra” seems to be much like The Decemberists’ “The Island” in the sense that it’s composed of several, separate sections that employ elements of vastly different musical styles. These nuanced sections tell separate stories but still blend together seamlessly.

Why does all the soap always burn like the rope?
How come? How come? How come?
Why’s all my toes always seem so cold?
How come? How come? How come?*

The genre bending that this song effortlessly demonstrates aligns right along with another of Jim James’ beliefs: different genres of music aren’t so different after all. I’ve included a live version of “Cobra,” which is a great version, but I recommend that (if you don’t already have it) you pick up the original, 24-minute track. You will not be disappointed.

Also, I’d like to take some time to introduce a new band that I’ve come across in the past couple of weeks that I’d like to share! If you’re more into the folksy, Americana, country-rock styles, then you might like English band Count to Fire. Yes, it’s English Americana! They’re about to release their first 7” single of their song “I’m The Man You Need.” I recommend checking them out on MySpace, Facebook, or Spotify if you’d like to give them a listen!

Hope you all enjoy this track (and Count to Fire) and have a fantastic week! See you Friday!

*I'd like to thank the BH from forum for help with these "other" lryics*

0 comments: