Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Morning Jacket - 2010-10-22 - Z

Once again I found myself leaving Terminal 5 saying "that was the best f*cking thing I've ever seen." "It Beats 4 U" was particularly rocking, Jim went nuts on his acoustic at the end. I always enjoy watching Jim pick up the 12 string (which he had a lot last night) and rage the solo in "What A Wonderful Man." "Off the Record" was incredible and insanely high voltage (frat boy douche bags aside, you know who you are). We got to see "Into The Woods" and "Knot Comes Loose" which was exceptional. I honestly do not know what happened during "Lay Low." It rocked so f'ing hard it was stupid. I'll say "Lay Low" is my favorite guitar song ever. Jim and Carl were having a blast on stage, guitars and heads practically touching, Jim breaking away doing 360's while running, ugh, what a show. "Dondante" was larger than life. Patrick was pounding away, I thought the roof might collapse it was so powerful.


The encore was possibly the best of the week (but also damn near impossible to gauge because they've all been mind altering in their own right). We got "Chills," "Where to Begin," AND "How Do You Know," all songs that were high up on everyone's list of songs to see.


The covers were nuts. It started somewhat tame with a Shel Silverstein "Lullabys, Legends And Lies" and then we got some funk via Funkadelic "Hit It And Quit It." As soon as they went into that riff the floor erupted. Carl did some serious shredding, getting really nasty with it followed by a Jim solo that was razor sharp. Awesome. When The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" was over I thought to myself "there is no way they will play another tune after that, it can't get better than that." And guess what? It did. "I Could Never Take The Pace Of Your Man" by Prince was a treat but the mind blowing end tune, George Michael's "Careless Whisper." Carl had his sax mounted and his guitar on his back and when he started playing the "Careless Whisper" riff on the sax the floor blew up more so that they did "Hit It And Quit It." I can't really even explain what happened mid song. Let me just say it was bananas and then direct you to the below video. Do yourself a favor and watch it.


Another spectacle. Another mind bending experience. It doesn't get any better than My Morning Jacket.


If you haven't been following The Steam Engine on Twitter or Facebook I suggest you do! I've been posting lots of pictures from NYC as well pictures from the shows, it's sort of a time line of my trip to NYC and the most amazing run of MMJ shows. 


And, if you're not following the My Morning Jacket family on Twitter, I suggest that as well. @MyMorningJacket - @Eric_Mayers - @mspark


1. Wordless Chorus
2. It Beats 4 U
3. Gideon
4. What A Wonderful Man
5. Off The Record
6. Into The Woods
7. Anytime
8. Lay Low
9. Knot Comes Loose
10. Dondante
----------
11. Chills
12. Lullabys, Legends And Lies (Shel Silverstein)
13. Where To Begin
14. How Do You Know
15. Hit It And Quit It (Funkadelic)
16. A Quick One While He's Away (The Who)
17. I Could Never Take The Pace Of Your Man (Prince)
18. Careless Whisper (George Michael)






2 comments:

parker said...

buh-buh-nanas-nanas!

Unknown said...

any idea what song they played over the PA right before evil urges on the last night? was a killer sax song...