Monday, January 10, 2011

New Music Monday - Welcome Back To The Week . . .


I know you're just as excited about this week as I am.  I mean, I'm sure there's going to be some TV show that someone really wants to see that I could care less about.  It seems like every week someone's asking me if I saw some show and when I tell them I've never even heard of it, they look at me like I have a giant green vibrator coming out of my head.  I never saw a single episode of Lost or Heroes.  I've never seen Modern Family or Desperate Housewives, and I probably won't.  I don't really care for TV and don't even get my started on so called "reality" television.  I have an ongoing feud with MTV's "Jersey Shore" that, if you check in on my Facebook or Twitter, you'll see that the only thing in this world that I pray for, is for Snooki to get a horrid case of herpes and die a slow painful death. The fact that this ignorant Monchichi is famous baffles me to no end.

So, very little TV for me, aside from sports and news, so that gives me plenty of time to find genuinely great music . . .like this week's band.


When Rolling Stone says, “If their demos are any indication of what’s in store, we’re expecting raunchy rock at it’s best,” my ears perk up.  Not that Rolling Stone is the first or last word when it comes to music, but they usually get it right (they ranked “Brothers” really high on their year end list, so they’ll do.).  That’s what they said about the L.A. trio, Wake Up Lucid.

When I got an email from their PR person, Corey (not sure if Corey is a guy or girl, hence “person.”), I checked it out and I have to say, I absolutely love the sound of this band.  I’m not a fan of labels, so I’ll avoid them, but Wake Up Lucid plays a raw, bluesy rock that sounds like it could have been played in the sixties a la The Rolling Stones or it fits perfectly alongside more recent bands like The White Stripes.  It’s bluesy and raw and singer Ryan Baca’s howl brings Jack White to mind immediately.

The best thing about Wake Up Lucid is how refreshing it is to hear a band that doesn’t try and hide anything in production.  Wake Up Lucid is three people and they never try to make the sound bigger by overproducing their songs.  The songs are loud and gritty and that’s the best thing about them.  Here’s all the info links:


Have a good week, boys and girls.  Don't forget to check out my vulgar musings at one word titles.  

See you next week . . .

chris

0 comments: