Monday, August 4, 2008

Lollapalooza wrap up

It was a long and hot weekend at Lollapalooza. Saw a ton of music and discovered some new things.

First up, The Parlor Mob. I thought Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were wailing away when I walked up to these guys. Very old school rock and roll, it really reminds me of Zep.

Foals was a good experience. They were just cool. It has been described as "math rock." They were throwing bottles of water out into the crowd and tossing there aluminum Bud Light bottles off stage, they were not giving a fuck about nothing.

Jeff Tweedy played the kids stage the first day but in typical Tweedy fashion he played on the ground in front of the kids and unless you were a kid there was no shot of seeing or really hearing him.

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
I think were the best show of the weekend. That guy is a bad ass and their latest album Real Emotional Trash is amazing.

The Black Keys were amazing. They played the slot before the headliner Friday and they fucking rocked it. Just 2 dudes playing some high powered blues. Attack and Release is a must have.

Radiohead. What can I say?

Iron and Wine was not what I expected. It was all electric, quiet and pretty bare bones. Especially the songs from The Shepards Dog. It was good, not what I expected the though.

Wilco. Again, what can I say? They played a new tune and in typical Wilco fashion, were amazing.

I saw Rogue Wave for a bit but they sounded pretty shitty live.

There were many others but these were my favorites. Check out the "Lolla 2008" mix.

Lolla 2008

Foals - The French Open
Foals - Olympic Airways
Iron & Wine - Pagan Angel And A Borrowed Car
Radiohead - Weird Fishes
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Cold Son
Radiohead - Myxomatosis
The Black Keys - Psychotic Girl
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Baltimore
The Parlor Mob - Tide Of Tears
The Black Keys - Things Ain't Like They Used To Be
Wilco - One Wing (NEW SONG)


I wanted to add this Foals song Electric Bloom.

0 comments: