Monday, November 22, 2010

New Music Monday - Jesu Cristo On A Tricycle . . .


It's Monday again.  These things just sneak up on me and it's never really a comfortable thing.  I trust you all had good weekend and your  respective football teams won.  I was just reading through all the "news" on the internet and saw that a Canadian won big at the AMERICAN Music Awards.  Oh, the irony.  I remember when award shows were fun and actually held come sort of credence with me.  Not anymore . . .no way, no how.  They've become a farce . . .a side show popularity contest that, because they're televised, serves some sort of entertainment value.  Oh well . . .who am I, right?  Oh yeah . . .I remember now.  I'm the all knowing, all showing, divinely inspired . . .ok, I tried to keep a straight face through all of that, but failed miserably.  Let's get to the good stuff, shall we . . .

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone watching The Walking Dead?  I don't know what station it's on or anything like that, but I actually take the time to watch it . . .partly because I read the "graphic novels."  If you've seen the show, tell me what you think.

And we're off . . .


A few weeks ago, I stopped by to talk about a few Nashville area bands that had been recommended to me by a reader and Pujol was one of those bands.  As I listened, I struggled to figure out how to compare them.  They are lo-fi, like The Black Keys or The White Stripes (both TSE favorites and in an odd turn of cosmic events, some guy called Jack White actually worked with the band), but lacked the blues inspired sensibilities that both bands have.  I would like to think that, had the Beatles began in a garage in some city located at the exact center of a triangle drawn from Detroit to Akron to Nashville and back that Daniel Pujol would occupy the point in the absolute center of this triangle.  There's a mathematical equation for this, but I don't remember (much less care) what it is.  Wait, maybe that was a circle . . .oh well.  Anyway enough babbling.  Go buy his music ASAP and you'll see what I'm talking about.   Here are some links, some to relevant information, and some to useless places, like the RNC (i wouldn't really do that to you.).  Thanks to the awesome guys over at Free Music Archive, here's a link to a raucous live set.




I'll be the first to admit that I have what some health care professionals would call, "music A.D.D," meaning I jump from one song to another, one band to another, one genre to another, one decade to another . . .you see where I'm going with this, right?  The next band, Harlowe and the Great North Woods, have been on my radar for the last few weeks and somehow, I've managed to keep them to myself . . . until now.  You see, in addition to having a name that sounds like it very well could have been the title to a Jack London novel, HATGNW have an unmistakable sound that will appeal to fans of Iron & Wine, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver.  The instrumentation has a mellow, folksy sound and as you listen closer, you hear banjos and what sounds like a clarinet.  Just give "Roses" a listen and tell me you disagree with the company in which I put them.  Here's the usual . . .

Check out some more info HERE.  Be sure to clink on the "Listen to Our EP" picture on the left side of the page.  You won't be a bit disappointed.

Also, cruise on over to On Word Titles this evening to find out more information about what has quickly become one of my favorite albums of the year.  I'm thinking of having a little "Comment Contest" and giving away free stuff to whoever leaves the most creative comment.  What do you think?  Comment below . . .
As always, have a great week . . .

chris

0 comments: