Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Perfect Song - Wilco - At Least That's What You Said

The next perfect song is Wilco's At Least That's What You Said from A Ghost Is Born. The whole album is filled with big clean spaces and distorted guitar, a contrast I adore. The guitar tone is reminiscent of Neil Young's on tracks like Like A Hurricane and Rockin' In The Free World.

When I sat down on the bed next to you
You started to cry
I said, maybe if I leave, you'll want me
To come back home
Or maybe all you mean, is leave me alone
At least that's what you said

You're irresistible when you get mad
Isn't it sad, I'm immune
I thought it was cute
For you to kiss
My purple black eye
Even though I caught it from you
I still think we're serious
At least that's what you said

It is such a sad song, a man head over heels in love for a woman that clearly does not reciprocate the same feeling in a similar fashion. I think the most heart wrenching part is that he knows it. Their roles are reversed in the song, it is much more typical for the man to be in the position the woman is and it sheds a certain light on abusive relationships. Tweedy is singing about this woman as if she is a drug and I think that can really relate to a lot of men and women.

Then comes the storm.

That guitar picks up and the drums and keys are hitting hard; like he is stomping his foot in anger as if he just realized the situation he is in is fucked. Distortion, distortion, distortion blasts from his tired amp; every note more pissed off then the last. The song calms itself down in the last 30 seconds with the help of a little feedback. Have you ever been so fed up with everything you just want to scream and once you do there is a moment of serenity that feels so good? That is what this song is.

Download - Wilco - At Least That's What You Said - Studio

Download - Wilco - At Least That's What You Said - Live

0 comments: