Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges Thoughts

These are my notes from a thorough listen of My Morning Jacket's Evil Urges.

Evil Urges
The strings are so beautiful
Bo really shines
Trippy as fuck at the end (Listen to the deep voice sing along with James)
Bo had to be doing drugs

Touch Me Pt. I
BO KOSTER
Pink Floyd

Highly Suspicious
Jim James voice is amazing no matter what comes out of his mouth
2:35 scream

I'm Amazed
Vocals and guitar solo's!
Dueling guitars
Jim James solo just made me crap

Thank You Too
A goodbye song
Jim James guitar again, I have this vivid image of him bending each note
GOSPEL

Sec Walkin'
Bo is really fucking good

Two Halves
DO WAP almost

Librarian
Reverb
Sounds like it should be coming out of an old transistor radio
Strings are beautiful

Look At You
Pink Floyd in a garage band at prom, such an awesome visual

Aluminum Park
Guitar solo again

Remnants
Almost sounds like Oasis could play this song
A rager

Smokin' From Shootin'
Wow

Touch Me Pt. II
Confirms they have the potential to be our Pink Floyd
5:42
The beat and the omni chord riff they always go back to
Patrick is a sick fucking percussionist
Carl is bad ass
Tommy's bass is perfect
BO "Ma Fuckin" Koster

Side notes
Absolutely 100% like nothing I have ever heard.
I hope this group of people make music for a long fucking time.

After listening to this I can see if people start comparing them to a "US Radiohead." This does not bother me, it is a good thing! That is saying they could do anything and be great at it!

These are my notes. I love this band. I have a newfound appreciation for Mr. Bo Koster.

2 comments:

tjb said...

Growing on me...I'm amazed could get some mainstream airplay...not sure if thats a good thing (they were "my band" in 2002)....but either way they are going to break out very soon!

Anonymous said...

Greatest band ever.

Can't wait to hear the new album. Only have Evil Urges and Touch Me Part II so far but I love the sound from the live SXSW shows.

"This feeling is wonderful. Don't you ever turn it off."